Outdoor dining is back in New York City, and for many restaurants, it is a crucial part of their business during the warmer months.
Some restaurant owners say roadway dining is the backbone of their success.
Patrick Fromuth, manager— or as he calls himself, “mom-ager” — of Branded Saloon in Prospect Heights, believes outdoor dining is an essential part of the city’s restaurant scene.
“New Yorkers want to be outside. We’re cooped up in our houses, we want to be social, and we want to be in the sun,” Fromuth said.
As roadway dining returns, some drivers may find it frustrating, especially when searching for parking. But for others, the experience of enjoying a meal outdoors is lots of fun.
“It gives families a place to go out to eat,” said Daniel Robinson, an outdoor dining supporter. “Kids can run around and have free space without the small restaurant constraints.”
Fromuth said Branded Saloon was initially set to receive approval for roadway dining in March, but delays have pushed that timeline to April 3.
“It’s a little terrifying,” Fromuth said. “What if something goes wrong? You’ve contacted a company, started renting equipment, or building structures, and it’s going to be expensive.”
Local residents say they are committed to supporting small businesses through the transition to ensure outdoor dining remains viable.
“It’s a tough one,” Robinson said. “I would hope that the extra seating brings extra business to make up for the cost.”
Many restaurants across the city are in a waiting period for their final approvals.
However, businesses like Branded Saloon can continue sidewalk dining temporarily, if they submitted their applications before Aug. 3 of last year.
“We’re not just a three-season girlfriend out here!” Fromuth said. “We’re a four-season girlfriend, so come out and support every season because we need it.”