More Stories






It's been one year since firefighters rescued a 31-year-old Waterbury man from his home on Blake Street. The man told police that he set a fire to escape, claiming that his stepmother, Kimberly Sullivan, held him captive in a small room for 20 years with barely any food.
When firefighters rescued the man, now known publicly as “S,” he only weighed 68 pounds, according to an arrest warrant.
"S" spoke out for the first time last year, releasing a statement that said, "Much has already been said that tells part of the story of the abuse I endured. Someday, perhaps my whole story will be told."
The full statement can be read here.
On Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026, Sullivan's attorney, Ioannis Kaloidis, held a press conference to discuss where the case stands now.
He vehemently denied that his client held her stepson captive.
"It's not on us to prove, or explain how he ended up that way. What I can tell you is he was not restrained within the home. He was not prevented from accessing food. He was provided food, water and shelter.
The only crime that was committed here was the setting of that house on fire," Kaloidis said.
Kaloidis said they currently have about 10 days worth of hospital records in their possession and are waiting for more. They are also waiting for the bill of particulars.
Kimberly Sullivan is due back in court next month.